Screening of On the Bride’s Side.
We would like to invite you to the upcoming Visual Dialogues screening and Q&A organised by Screen Studies at Drama and the Granada Centre for Visual Anthropology. We will be screening the Italian documentary film On the Bride’s Side (2014). The film deals with the Syrian refugee crisis and it will be followed by a conversation with the director Gabriele Del Grande and co-producer Alexandra D’Onofrio (PhD candidate in Anthropology, Media and Performance).
On the Bride’s Side: subverting migration discourse
Screening and Q&A with Gabriele Del Grande
6-8pm, Tuesday 15 March
John Casken Lecture Theatre, Martin Harris building, The University of Manchester – M13 9PL Oxford Road
Synopsis: A Palestinian poet and an Italian journalist meet five Palestinians and Syrians in Milan who entered Europe via the island of Lampedusa after fleeing the war in Syria. They decide to help them reach Sweden by faking a wedding, crossing European borders on an emotionally charged journey of 3000 kilometers.
- Human Rights Nights Award at the 71st Venice Film Festival;
- Golden Prize at the Al Jazeera Film Festival 2015; shortlisted as Best Documentary at the David di Donatello Awards 2015;
- Grand Prix as Best Documentary at the Oran International Film Festival 2015;
- Special Prize at the Arab Film Festival of Malmo;
- Best Documentary Award at the Arab Film Festival of San Francisco.
Featured image by Marco Garofalo © GINA Films